Butternut Squash and Roasted Garlic Bisque
Source: Bon Appetit Nov 2000
- 2 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whipping creamt
Preheat oven to 350F. Rub cut surfaces of garlic with oil. Put halves back together to reassemble heads. Wrap each tightly in foil; bake until tender, about 40 minutes. Cool garlic in foil.
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; saute until onions are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add squash, broth and 2 tablespoons sage. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, unwrap garlic. Squeeze from skin into small bowl. Discard skin. Mash garlic with fork until smooth.
Stir garlic into soup. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
Return to pot. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold.
Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
Stir in 1/2 cup cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer soup to tureen. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sage.