Source: Saveur Magazine, Dec 2006
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves (~ 1 lb)
- 3 T vegetable oil
- ~1.5 lbs broccoli, stemmed and broken into 1-2" florets
- 5 T butter
- 0.25 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 T sherry
- 0.125 t freshly grated nutmeg
- 0.5 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and
cook, turning once, until golden brown and just
cooked through, 13-15 minutes. Transfer chicken to
a plate; let cool slightly. Cut chicken lengthwise
on the bias into 1/4"-thick slices and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put broccoli into a large pot,
cover with salted water, and bring to a boil over
medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and
simmer until barely tender, 2-3 minutes. Drain
and set aside. (NOTE: suggest cooking broccoli
only 1-2 minutes in boiling water then drain and
cool in cold water. Otherwise gets too soggy, especially
- Preheat oven to 375F. Rub the inside of a 2-quart
casserole dish with 1 T butter; set aside. Melt remaining
butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually
pour in stock and milk while whisking constantly.
Cook until very thick, about 10 minutes. Add salt
and pepper, sherry, nutmeg, and half the cheese;
stir until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Remove
cheese sauce from heat and let cool slightly.
- Arrange broccoli in the prepared dish in a single
layer; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Arrange
chicken evenly over top; sprinkle with almonds. In
a large bowl, beat the heavy cream to soft peaks;
fold into sauce. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake,
with a baking sheet underneath to catch any drips,
until golden brown and bubbling, about 30 minutes.