Source: Gourmet Sep 1999
- 4 tablespoons raw Thai glutinous rice
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced scallion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 to 2 small (1-inch) fresh Asian chiles such as bird or Thai, minced
- sticky rice
- fresh mint, basil, and/or cilantro leaves
- coarsely chopped tomato and English cucumber
Cook rice in a dry small heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown,
4 to 6 minutes (rice will smoke). Grind to a coarse powder in an electric coffee/spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
Thinly slice chicken crosswise and cut slices into thin strips. Season chicken with salt.
Heat oil in a wok or heavy skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking, then stir-fry chicken until cooked through, about 2
minutes. Remove chicken from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons rice powder,
reserving remainder for another use. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
Mound chicken on a platter and serve with a basket or bowl of sticky rice and plate of herbs, tomato, and cucumber.