Pacifica Del Mar Mulligatawny Soup
Source: San Diego Home & Garden, December 1999
- peanut oil
- 2 pounds roasted chicken breast
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 cups chicken stock, medium to strong flavor
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 green apples, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- cornstarch if necessary to thicken
- FOR CHICKEN: Rub breasts with peanut oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper
and bake for 20 minutes at 350F. Let cool and dice.
- Heat large saucepan and add peanut oil, carrots, celery, onions, curry,
basil, oregano and thyme. Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour and stir until oil is absorbed
- Add sugar, vinegar, stock and cream.
- Lower heat and simmer until roux has cooked out, about 20 minutes.
- Add chicken, apple, rice and cook an additional 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings