Orzo with Lamb, Lima Beans and Feta
Source: Bon Appetit, March 1995
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2.25 lbs lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce can peeled tomatoes
- 1.5 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans (about 3 cups), thawed
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or 5 teaspoons dried
- 1.5 pounds orzo pasta
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add
onions and garlic and cook until tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Add to Dutch
oven and stir until lamb begins to color, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and tomatoes with their juices, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
Simmer uncovered until sauce is thick and lamb is tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Add lima beans and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Add marjoram
and season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and
refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.)
- Cook orzo in large pot of rapidly boiling salted water until just tender, but
still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain orzo well. Transfer to large bowl.
Spoon lamb stew over. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve