Pasta with Mushroom Ragu
Source: La Cucina Italiana Magazine, Oct 2008
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3.5 ounces prosciutto (sliced 1/8-inch-thick), cubed
- 1.25 pound mixed mushrooms, such as shimeji, shitake, chanterelle, trumpet or blue foot, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound bucatini or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion and prosciutto;
reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened,
about 7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, broth, water, and pinch salt and pepper; stir gently to
combine. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until mushrooms are
very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, place cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer; remove from heat.
- Drain pasta, transfer to a large serving bowl, add hot cream and mushroom mixture, and toss to
combine. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.