Pickled Jalapeno Peppers
- Fresh jalapeno chiles
- Carrot slices
- Small chunks of onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint
- 1 clove garlic, minced, per pint
- Vinegar and water in equal amounts
Prick or slash chiles in several places. Pack into clean pint canning jars.
Add a few carrot slices and onion pieces. Add salt and garlic.
- Cover ingredients with equal amounts of vinegar and water, leaving 3/4 inch headspace.
Top with a thin layer of oil (1/8inch). Wipe jar rim clean with a damp cloth. Adjust lids and rings. Seal.
- Process for 15 minutes in a simmering hot-water bath.(Begin to count the processing time
when the water bath temperature has reached 170 degrees F.)
- Variations: Add a little chopped cilantro to each jar and/or a few chunks of cauliflower.