Sea Bass with Curry and Ginger
Source: Bon Appetit, August 1996
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry base
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons imitation coconut extract
- 6 5- to 6-ounce sea bass filets
- 0.5 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice or other white rice
Combine first 7 ingredients in glass baking dish. Add fish. Refrigerate
2 hours turning occasionally.
Remove fish from curry mixture. Transfer curry mixture to heavy large
skillet and bring to simmer over high heat. Sprinkle fish with salt and
pepper; add fish to skillet. reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 4 minutes.
Turn fish, cover and simmer until opaque in center, about 2 minutes longer.
Using spatula, transfer fish to plate. Tent with foil to keep warm.
Whisk clam juice and arrowroot in small bowl to dissolve arrowroot. Whisk
into curry mixture. Boil until slightly thickened, whisking often, about 6
minutes. Stir in basil and sugar. Season with salt. Pour any accumulated
juices from fish into curry sauce. Place rice on plates; top with fish. Spoon
sauce over fish.
- Serve over rice.
- Serves 6.