Spicy Glazed Eggplant
Source: Gourmet May 2008
- 1.25 pounds Asian eggplants (about 4), trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut diagonally into 1.5-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger (use a Microplane)
- 1/8 teaspoon Japanese seven-spice powder (sometimes labeled "shichimi togarashi"), or to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
Toss eggplant with 1 teaspoon salt and drain in a colander, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
Rinse eggplant under cold water and dry well, pressing out any excess moisture.
Stir together mirin, soy sauce, ginger, and seven-spice powder.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers,
then saute eggplant until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in mirin mixture and cook,
gently stirring and turning frequently, until sauce becomes a glaze and eggplant
is browned and tender, about 1 minute.
Serve hot or at room temperature, sprinkled with chives.