Thai Basil Beef
Source: Bon Appetit, September 1994
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno chili
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound beef flank steak, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 1/4 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 40 fresh basil leaves (left whole)
- Freshly cooked rice (Basamati is great)
Mix first 7 ingredients in small bowl. Heat oil in wok over high heat.
Add beef and stir-fry until medium-rare, about 3 minutes. Using slotted
spoon, transfer to bowl.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon oil from wok. Add sauce mixture to wok and bring
to a boil. Add chicken broth and boil until sauce thickens slightly, about
2 minutes. Return beef to sauce in wok; add basil leaves and stir just until
beef is cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Serve over rice.
- Serves 2.